The Army, in these instances, takes action against any negative actions described in Army Directive 2012-07 pertaining to alcohol, this being any form of abuse of alcohol: being under the influence of or impaired by alcohol while on duty, DWIs (Driving While Intoxicated) and DUIs (Driving Under the Influence), Underage drinking, providing alcohol to someone under 21, and/or any negative incident involving alcohol (fighting, child or spouse abuse etc. ). Medically What Alcohol Does To the Body Alcohol is a depressant. A depressant slows down the central nervous system (CNS).
Due to a slowed central nervous system, there will be a decrease in motor coordination, as well as reaction time, and intellectual performance. When higher doses are taken, the respiratory system will also begin to slow drastically which can lead to, and potentially cause, a coma or death. This all being said, it is particularly dangerous to mix alcohol with other depressants. Here is a short list of potential and commonly used depressants that are paired with alcohol: GHB (Gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid), Rohypnol, Ketamine, as well as the large spectrum of tranquilizers or sleeping pills.
Studies have been done on the use of one depressant (alcohol) in conjunction with other depressants, and the results reflect that depressants multiply the effect of both alcohol as well as the secondary depressant and have been proven to lead to memory loss, coma or death. Once the alcohol is drunk, it gets absorbed into the stomach and the small intestine, where the blood vessels will take it to the bloodstream. Approximately 20% of alcohol is absorbed through the stomach and most of the remaining 80% is absorbed through the small intestine.
Alcohol is then metabolized by the liver, where it excretes enzymes to break down the alcohol. The rate that metabolism is released is critical in determining how much alcohol the body can break up and in determining the effect of the alcohol itself on the body. In the average human body, the liver can break apart one ounce of hard alcohol (liquor) (or one standard drink) in one hour. When you consume more than your body can digest, your digestive system becomes saturated (bloating with alcohol in the tissue), and the additional alcohol will continue to accumulate in the blood and body tissues until it can be metabolized.
Thats why having a lot of shots or playing drinking games can result in high blood saturation and high alcohol concentrations that last for several hours. Alcohol and the Creed Alcohol doesnt mix very well with the Ranger Creed. In fact, there is no part of the Ranger Creed that supports the consumption of alcohol. It states in the third stanza that as a Ranger, one is to be mentally alert. Mental alertness isnt just being awake. Mental alertness is being able to be awake, as well as being mentally capable of dealing with whatever circumstances are thrown at you.
Alcohol inhibits this process: the ability to take information or a situation and be able to apply reasonable reasoning to actions to reach a solution, as well as the ability to accurately put that plan or reaction in to effect. The whole fourth stanza talks about setting an example for others, and about how we, as Rangers, are supposed to be the ones who have the most order, the most class, and the fewest issues and fuck ups. Alcohol restricts maintaining your body; which is your equipment. As a Ranger, our bodies are just as much a piece of equipment as a knife or a ruck sack.
And in the first stanza, the most important part of this all. The first stanza exclaims that we must always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of this organization. And still, there is no way possible to be even presentable to do credit to and to uphold the core foundation of this organization when alcohol is involved. There is nothing noble or prestigious about drinking alcohol when trying to be the face and to represent this unit. It is an honor to represent this unit. And the only way to do credit to this Regiment is to support and represent this unit without alcohol.